Frequently Asked Questions

How old do I need to be to Hire a vehicle?

Between 25 and 75, having held a full driving licence for at least 1 year.

MPV’s, Minibuses and 4x4’s
Between 25 and 70, having held a full driving licence for at least 5 years.

Light Commercial Vehicles
Between 23 and 75, having held a full driving licence for at least 1 year.

All Tippers
Between 25 and 70, having held a full driving licence for at least 3 years.

7½ Ton Commercial Vehicles
Between 25 and 70, having held a full driving licence for at least 3 years.

What vehicles can I drive with my licence?

Category B
Cars, 4x4’s, MPV’s and Light Commercial Vehicles up to and including a maximum weight of 3,500kgs and no more than 8 passenger seats.

Category C1
Commercial vehicles up to and including a maximum weight of 7,500kgs.

Category D1
Minibuses with no more than 16 passenger seats.

Category E
Permits towing, and will be added to another category, for example B+E, C1+E or D1+E.

Can I tow with a U-Drive Vehicle?

Yes you can, however, additional charges may apply and U-Drive’s consent must be obtained prior to hiring the vehicle. You may tow up to a maximum weight of 2,000kgs on U-Drive’s Insurance. This maximum weight is subject to the specifications of the vehicle supplied, not all vehicles are designed to tow this weight. Any trailer in excess of 750kgs must be braked. U-Drive does not currently hire trailers. You must also check that you hold the correct vehicle category on your driving licence to tow.

If I have an accident, which is not my fault, will I get my deposit or excess back?

In most cases you will, however, a disputed claim can take a considerable amount of time to resolve. In some instances if we are unable to claim for the damage and any additional losses, for example the other party gave false details, drove away from the accident or are uninsured, then you will lose your deposit and may have to pay the full value of the agreed insurance excess. U-Drive recommends that careful consideration be given to the additional insurances of CDW and WDW.

What is CDW?

Collision Damage Waiver reduces the excess payable by the hirer in the event that the hired vehicle has been involved in a collision. Typically this will reduce the excess from £1,000 down to £125 - £200, depending on endorsements, driving experience, type of vehicle being hire and the intended use of the vehicle. The hirer is normally responsible for the excess if:

  • The accident is their fault.
  • There is no one to claim against.
  • The other driver has no insurance.

Collision Damage Waiver does not cover

  • All Glass, including windscreens, and tyre damage.
  • Damage caused above windscreen height of a commercial vehicle.
  • Damage caused to the vehicle when not on the public highway.
  • Theft of the vehicle.
  • Acts of Vandalism.
  • Malicious Acts.
  • Damage caused by the negligence of the hirer (for example, racing or driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs).
  • If the terms and conditions of the rental agreement are breached.

What is WDW?

The cost of replacing a damaged windscreen is increasing significantly each year, as the screen becomes part of the structural integrity of the vehicle. Many windscreens are now heated, increasing the costs further. As the hirer of a vehicle you are responsible for any damage caused to the windscreen while the vehicle is in your possession. Windscreens can easily be damaged.

By accepting the Windscreen Damage Waiver, you can reduce your Windscreen Excess from £1,000 down to £25.

What if I do not hold a UK Licence?

If you are a temporary visitor to the UK, you may drive for up to 12 months on your non-UK driving licence. We would prefer that an International Driving Permit and your National Driving licence are presented at the time of hire. If you do not hold an International Driving Permit, you will be asked to provide evidence that you are a temporary visitor and that you have not been in the UK for longer than 12 months.

What if I have penalty points on my licence?

As a general rule, up to 6 points within the past 3 years can be accepted, for offences such as speeding, parking or construction and use. If you have endorsements for Driving while under the influence of Drink or Drugs, Driving with No Insurance, Careless Driving, Reckless Driving, Theft or Unauthorised Taking of a motor vehicle or if you have been banned from driving within the last 10 years, it is recommended that you contact your nearest U-Drive location to check your entitlement to hire. If you have been banned or have more than 6 points on your licence you may still be able to hire subject to conditions.

Can I take a vehicle outside of the UK?

U-Drive vehicles may be taken from the UK, however, this must be agreed in advance. Additional charges will apply for RAC European cover, which includes replacement vehicle, hotel cover and VE103 certificates. Please contact your nearest U-Drive locations for further information.

Can I have additional drivers?

You can have as many additional drivers as you require, all drivers will be required to show their driving licences and a small charge will apply for each additional driver.

What happens if the vehicle breaks down?

All vehicles are supplied with 24 hour RAC Roadside, Homestart and Recovery. Minibuses are covered under a RAC minibus policy, which covers all passengers in the event of a break down.

Is the deposit refundable?

The deposit is fully refundable as long as no additional charges have been incurred, for example returning the vehicle after the agreed time and date, damage or excess mileage.

What if I need to cancel the reservation?

If you cancel your reservation in advance you will receive a full refund of the rental charges and deposit. If you cancel your reservation after the scheduled commencement time a charge of up to 20% of the agreed rental charge may be applied. Cancellations can only be accepted during normal working hours, please check the opening times of the Location that you have made the reservation for.

Do I collect the rental vehicle?

It is normal to collect the vehicle from a U-Drive Location, if you require delivery, please contact your closest Branch and arrangements for Delivery and Collection can be made. Please be aware that additional charges will apply for this service.