Enter Username & Password

Forgot Password?


Frequently Asked Questions

What has happened since the counterpart of the driving licence was abolished?

On the 8th June 2015, DVLA abolished the driving licence counterpart. The abolishment affects all driving licences whereby endorsements will no longer be recorded or shown. U-Drive Limited has a legal responsibility to check your driving licence endorsement in order to provide insurance under the Road Traffic Act legislation. In order to carry out these necessary checks the following 3 options are available to you.

Option 1 Share My Driver Record – https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence. You will need your Driving Licence Number, National Insurance Number and Driving Licence Post Code. Follow the instructions, share your licence information and obtain a check code. Please note that this security code is only valid for a single use and for 72 hours. The code is case sensitive; please bring this code together with your Driving Licence, National Insurance Number and identification when you collect the vehicle. There is no charge for this service.

Option 2 When you collect the vehicle, please bring your Driving Licence, National Insurance Number and identification, with this information you will be asked to access the Share My Driver Record website by means of a company tablet or computer. There currently is no charge for this service.

Option 3 When you collect the vehicle if you do not have your National Insurance Number but do have your Driving Licence Number and Identification, you will be asked to give your permission verbally to DVLA to disclose your driving licence information, using their premium rate telephone service. This is a premium rate service and a charge of £10.00 inclusive of VAT will be made for choosing this option.


How old do I need to be to hire a vehicle?

Between 25 and 75, having held a full driving licence for at least 1 year.

MPV’s, All Tippers, VW Kombi and 4x4’s
Between 25 and 75, having held a full driving licence for at least 3 years.

Light Commercial Vehicles
Between 23 and 75, having held a full driving licence for at least 1 year.

9 Seater Tourneo
Between 25 and 75, having held a full driving licence for at least 3 years.

17 Seater Minibus
Between 25 and 70, having held a full driving licence for at least 5 years.

7½ Ton Commercial Vehicles
Between 25 and 75, having held a full driving licence for at least 3 years.

What vehicles can I drive with my licence?

Category B
Cars, 4x4’s, MPV’s and Light Commercial Vehicles up to and including a maximum weight of 3,500kgs and no more than 8 passenger seats.

Category C1
Commercial vehicles up to and including a maximum weight of 7,500kgs.

Category D1
Minibuses with no more than 16 passenger seats.

Category E
Permits towing, and will be added to another category, for example B+E, C1+E or D1+E.

Can I tow with a U-Drive Vehicle?

Yes you can, however, additional charges may apply and U-Drive’s consent must be obtained prior to hiring the vehicle. You may tow up to a maximum weight of 2,000kgs on U-Drive’s Insurance. This maximum weight is subject to the specifications of the vehicle supplied, not all vehicles are designed to tow this weight. Any trailer in excess of 750kgs must be braked. U-Drive does not currently hire trailers. You must also check that you hold the correct vehicle category on your driving licence to tow.

If I have an accident, which is not my fault, will I get my deposit or excess back?

In most cases you will, however, a disputed claim can take a considerable amount of time to resolve. In some instances if we are unable to claim for the damage and any additional losses, for example the other party gave false details, drove away from the accident or are uninsured, then you will lose your deposit and may have to pay the full value of the agreed insurance excess. U-Drive recommends that careful consideration be given to the additional insurances of CDW and WDW.

What is CDW?

Collision Damage Waiver reduces the excess payable by the hirer in the event that the hired vehicle has been involved in a collision. Typically this will reduce the excess from £1,000 down to £125 - £250, depending on endorsements, driving experience, type of vehicle being hire and the intended use of the vehicle. The hirer is normally responsible for the excess if:

  • The accident is their fault.
  • There is no one to claim against.
  • The other driver has no insurance.

Collision Damage Waiver does not cover

  • All Glass, including windscreens, and tyre damage.
  • Damage caused above windscreen height of a commercial vehicle.
  • Damage caused to the vehicle when not on the public highway.
  • Theft of the vehicle.
  • Acts of Vandalism.
  • Malicious Acts.
  • Damage caused by the negligence of the hirer (for example, racing or driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs).
  • If the terms and conditions of the rental agreement are breached.

What is WDW?

The cost of replacing a damaged windscreen is increasing significantly each year, as the screen becomes part of the structural integrity of the vehicle. Many windscreens are now heated, increasing the costs further. As the hirer of a vehicle you are responsible for any damage caused to the windscreen while the vehicle is in your possession. Windscreens can easily be damaged.

By accepting the Windscreen Damage Waiver, you can reduce your Windscreen Excess from £1,000 down to £25.

What is Super XS Waiver?

Super XS Cover is the highest level of insurance U-Drive offer - Combining both Collision Damage Waiver and Windscreen Waiver with additional cover for lost keys, theft and above windscreen height damage.

You are not covered for theft of the vehicle where you have failed to keep the keys secure and safe at all times.

What if I do not hold a UK Licence?

If you are a temporary visitor to the UK and do not hold an EU driving licence, you may drive for up to 12 months. We would prefer that an International Driving Permit and your National Driving licence are presented at the time of hire. If you do not hold an International Driving Permit, you will be asked to provide evidence that you are a temporary visitor and that you have not been in the UK for longer than 12 months.

If you hold an EU Driving Licence, provided the full entitlement for that vehicle is shown on the licence you may drive a car until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident whichever is the longer period.

If you wish to drive a Lorry or Minibus, provided the full entitlement for that vehicle us shown on the licence you may drive until aged 45 of for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period. If aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period. If you are aged 65 or over, you may drive for 12 months after becoming resident.

If you are resident within the UK driving on a EU Licence we may require your Licence to show your residential address within the UK.


What if I have penalty points on my licence?

As a general rule, up to 6 points within the past 3 years can be accepted, for offences such as speeding, parking or construction and use. If you have endorsements for Driving while under the influence of Drink or Drugs, Driving with No Insurance, Careless Driving, Reckless Driving, Theft or Unauthorised Taking of a motor vehicle or if you have been banned from driving within the last 10 years, it is recommended that you contact your nearest U-Drive location to check your entitlement to hire. If you have been banned or have more than 6 points on your licence you may still be able to hire subject to conditions.

Similarly, please contact us if you have had any motor accidents within the last 5 years, whether at fault or not.

Can I take a vehicle outside of the UK?

U-Drive vehicles may be taken from the UK, however, this must be agreed in advance. Additional charges will apply for AA European cover, which includes replacement vehicle, hotel cover and VE103 certificates. Please contact your nearest U-Drive location for further information.

Can I have additional drivers?

You can have as many additional drivers as you require, all drivers will be required to show their driving licences and a small charge will apply for each additional driver.

Additional drivers will be required to show appropriate Identification details are contained within thes FAQ's section.

What happens if the vehicle breaks down?

All vehicles are supplied with 24 hour AA Roadside, Homestart and Recovery. Minibuses are covered under a RAC minibus policy, which covers all passengers in the event of a break down.

Is the deposit refundable?

The deposit is fully refundable as long as no additional charges have been incurred, for example returning the vehicle after the agreed time and date, damage or excess mileage.

What if I need to cancel the reservation?

If you cancel your reservation in advance you will receive a full refund of the rental charges and deposit. If you cancel your reservation after the scheduled commencement time a charge of up to 20% of the agreed rental charge may be applied. Cancellations can only be accepted during normal working hours, please check the opening times of the Location that you have made the reservation for.

Do I collect the rental vehicle?

It is normal to collect the vehicle from a U-Drive Location. If you require delivery, please contact your closest Branch and arrangements for Delivery and Collection can be considered. Please be aware that additional charges will apply for this service.

What if I am late collecting my vehicle?

This is not a problem, however the full charge will still apply and the vehicle must still be returned at the originally agreed time. It may be possible to return the vehicle later, however this must be agreed in advance and additional charges will apply.

Please note that the opening hours of some of our branches vary at weekends and on public holidays.

What documents do I need to bring with me?

Each driver will be required to show their driving licence at the time of hire. The older paper licence version must be accompanied with a passport or debit/credit card as additional proof of identification.

Each driver will also be required to show 2 additional documents with their name and personal address. Documents must be no older than 3 months acceptable documents include, Bank Statement, Credit Card Statement, Current Council Tax Bill, Utility Bill, Letting agreement or Proof of Home Ownership.

Please also refer to the FAQ headed: What has happened since the counterpart of the driving licence was abolished?

Please contact your chosen U-Drive location if you envisage any difficulty with providing this identification or if you are hiring a vehicle to be taken outside of the UK.

Why do you take electronic pictures of your customers?

Due to an increase in instances of attempted and actual theft of vehicles through ID fraud, we are implementing extra security measures to safeguard both our vehicle and your identity from fraudulent use.

Images are expected to be stored for 3 years from your last date of hire, they are solely for U-Drive Limited use and will only be disclosed to law enforcement officers for the detection of crime.

Images are taken electronically through use of a webcam, we record images of all retail hirers and it is a requirement of hire.



Leave a message below

How would you like us to contact you?